The advertising world can't master "mobile marketing" without diving into the world of mobile apps — but what are the top trending apps for video advertisers in the United States?
Pixalate examined programmatic advertising data from March 2018 to find the answer.
This blog post gives marketers a new way to think about advertising within mobile applications by introducing brand new data and rankings to the programmatic advertising industry. Pixalate measured programmatic video advertising activity within mobile apps throughout March 2018 to compile this research.
The below trending apps are based on an analysis of Share of Voice of programmatic video advertising within mobile apps in March 2018.
Click here to download the full list of top 30 apps across iOS and Android devices:
iOS smartphones: Gaming and entertainment apps make up the bulk of the top 10
Based on Pixalate's research, in March 2018, games and entertainment apps made up the majority of the top 10 apps in terms of programmatic video advertising volume.
- The Weather Channel: Forecast ranked first in March 2018 in terms of programmatic video advertising Share of Voice among iOS smartphones in the U.S.
- Word Connect, Words With Friends 2, and Solitaire all ranked in the top five
- Entertainment apps — such as Slacker Radio, OnDemandKorea, and Musi — all ranked in the top 10
iOS tablets: Games rule the dayWhen it came to programmatic video advertising on iOS tablets in March 2018, games were the name of the game.
- 8 of the top 10 apps in iOS tablets are games, including Solitaire, puzzles games, and racing games
- HuffPost — News and Politics and Slacker Radio were the only non-gaming apps to appear in the top 10
Android smartphones: Similar games as iOS users — but a podcast app checks in at No. 1
- Podcast Addict ranked No. 1 on Android smartphones in March 2018 in terms of programmatic video ad volume
- Solitaire, Word Connect, and Words With Friends 2 all appeared in the top 10 among Android smartphone apps; these apps also appeared in the top 10 for iOS
- The Weather Channel app also ranked in the top 10 for both iOS and Android smartphones
Android tablets: Solitaire reigns supreme
- In March 2018, over half of the top 10 apps in terms of programmatic video ad volume on Android tablets were Solitaire-based games
- Other puzzle games, like Sudoku and Word Connect, also ranked in the top 10.
(Click above to download the full list of top 30 apps in each category)
Methodology and Disclaimer
Pixalate examined mobile in-app video advertisements sold via programmatic channels throughout March 2018 for this study. The data is based on activity within apps that engage in programmatic advertising in the open marketplace. Invalid Traffic (IVT) — including General Invalid Traffic (GIVT) and Sophisticated Invalid Traffic (SIVT) — were removed prior to ranking the apps. Each app's "Share of Voice" is determined based on programmatic video ad volume as measured by Pixalate. The data contained herein is based solely on Pixalate's Share of Voice analysis of programmatic advertising impressions in March 2018, and any reference to "top" or "trending" apps refers solely to an app's Share of Voice of programmatic advertising impressions.